- 12 ounces fresh cranberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice (freshly squeezed or store-bought)
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (gluten-free)
- 1 cinnamon stick (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- Rinse and Prepare Cranberries: Start by rinsing the fresh cranberries under cold water. Remove any stems or bruised berries.
- Combine Ingredients: In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the cranberries, granulated sugar, freshly squeezed orange juice, and orange zest. If you're using a cinnamon stick, add it to the mixture as well.
- Cook Over Medium Heat: Place the saucepan over medium heat. Stir gently to combine all the ingredients. As the cranberries heat, they will begin to pop and release their juices. Continue cooking and stirring occasionally. The sauce will thicken as it cooks.
- Add Vanilla and Salt: After about 10-15 minutes of cooking and once the cranberries have mostly popped, remove the saucepan from the heat. Stir in the gluten-free vanilla extract and a pinch of salt. Taste the sauce and adjust the sweetness if needed by adding more sugar.
- Cool and Serve: Allow the cranberry orange sauce to cool in the saucepan. As it cools, it will continue to thicken. Once it reaches room temperature, transfer it to a serving dish. You can remove the cinnamon stick at this point if you used one.
- Chill (Optional): If you prefer your cranberry sauce chilled, cover it and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight before serving. The flavors will meld beautifully during this time.
- Serve: Serve your gluten-free cranberry orange sauce as a delightful accompaniment to your Thanksgiving turkey or any other dishes. Enjoy!
This homemade gluten-free cranberry orange sauce is bursting with flavor and the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving table.